Friday, February 20, 2015

Book Blogger Hop: Feb. 20-26




Here's how it works


Every week Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer poses a question submitted by a blogger. Anyone can answer the question and then add their link to the list. It seems pretty easy and fun.


This week's question


February 20th - 26th - Is there anything that makes you not return to a blog or not want to look at it even for the first time? (submitted by Elizabeth)

My answer 


This is essentially a part 2 to last week's question. You can read that answer here
1. Blogs that are so jumbled I don't even know where to start. As a designer, I'll share the No. 1 rule of design: Always control what your reader looks at first. Don't bury your best art at the bottom of the page. Side note: Ads in the middle of the page are terrible. They make me want to smack you over the head.
 

2. Over the top swearing. Now, I swear like a damned sailor, but there's a difference between saying "I fucking love this book" and swearing in a way that demeans an author and their hard work. If you can't express your thoughts without reverting to a swear word in every sentence, then maybe you shouldn't be blogging at all. I've noticed most of the time it comes from people who have never written or published anything other than their swear-laden reviews.
 

3. Bad writing. I can forgive a few simple errors here and there. To me, there's no such thing as an error-less publication, and everyone has their own opinion on things such as whether ti use the Oxford comma or not. But I do have a problem with blogs that clearly don't even take a second read through before posting something. I will let it go once or twice, but when I see it repeatedly, I'm gone. Sayonara.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like jumbled or cluttered blogs. I also don't like trying to "find" the post I am looking for. :)

    I have never seen swearing. Thank goodness.

    I ALWAYS check my posts a million times. Hopefully I don't miss any errors. :)

    Nice answer.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete